Greenlaw Town Hall, Scottish Borders

A redundant and derelict A-Listed Georgian Town Hall has been saved for the benefit of the rural community by the creation of offices and a large public hall.

The Project

Greenlaw Town Hall was built in 1831 to designs by John Cunningham as the Courthouse for Berwickshire.  It was a proud emblem for the village which held the status of county town for over 200 years (1696-1904).

The Town Hall is regarded as the most successful design of the Berwickshire born architect, leading him to build a number of significant public buildings in Liverpool.  Together with the Castle Inn Hotel opposite, these are two of the few remaining examples of his work.

Duns replaced Greenlaw as the county town in 1904 and the Town Hall became a Community Hall, then a Swimming Pool briefly in 1973, and a local Antique Dealer’s Sales Room until becoming empty in 1998.  During the Second World War it was a billet for Polish soldiers. 

The people behind the building’s construction, including the architect, have significant local connections.  It was financed by a local landowner, Sir John Purves Hume Campbell and constructed by a local builder, William Waddell using local Swinston Stone.

Prior to this project starting on site, Greenlaw Town Hall had been a Building at Risk since 2001 and unsafe for public access. Project priorities were to bring the building into a good state of repair to secure its future at the heart of the local community, and as a catalyst for local economic regeneration.  The pavilions have been converted into much needed affordable office accommodation and the hall into a flexible community venue.  The building is once again the proud centerpiece elevated on the village green.

Greenlaw Town Hall Historic Timeline

For further details of the proposals please see the Architectural Drawings and our Project Sheet.

Awards

Winner - The Georgian Group Architectural Awards 2011: Re-use of a Georgian Building

Winner - Scottish Award for Quality in Planning 2012: Outstanding Performance and Quality in Development Management

Commended - Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (Scotland) 2012: Community Benefit

Funders

THANK YOU to the following funders and supporters without whom this project would not have been possible:

Historic Scotland, European Regional Development Fund, Scottish Borders Council, The Monument Trust, Mr and Mrs P. J. Leggate, Turtleton Trust, Architectural Heritage Fund.

Charterhall Estate, Greenlawdean Estate, Mellerstain Estate, Mersington House, Pittlesheugh Farm, The Alan Evans Memorial Trust, The Cruden Foundation, Dalrymple Donaldson Fund, Forth and Borders Architectural Heritage Society, The Georgian Goup, The Leche Trust, The Pilgrim Trust, and to the many individuals who gave donations towards the project and who Sponsored a Stone.

Project Details

Building Developer and Owner
Scottish Historic Buildings Trust

Operator upon Completion
Scottish Historic Buildings Trust

Design Team

Architect
Adam Dudley Architects

Quanitity Surveyor
Morham and Brotchie

Structural Engineer
David Narro Associates

Mechanical and Electrical Engineer
RYBKA

CDM Co-ordinator
Harley Haddow

Main Contractor
Campbell & Smith Construction Group Ltd

Project Cost

£1.9 million

Become involved.
More needs to be done:

To fit-out the community hall with toilet and kitchen facilities we still need to raise £70,000

(Donate now /Support us).

To sustain the building by:

Images

AFTER

BEFORE

DURING

HISTORIC

Project Sheet

greenlaw_bottomimage.gifriddlescourt_bottomimage.gifhamgirnal_bottomimage.gif

Copyright SHBT 2016