The Hippodrome Jigsaw
The Hippodrome is the oldest surviving purpose-built cinema in Scotland. Its construction in 1911 was the result of a collaboration between architect Matthew Steele and filmmaker Louis Dickson. It continued in use as a cinema until the 1970s when it became a bingo hall before being abandoned. After being gifted the building in 1996, SHBT carried out a major project to save The Hippodrome from dereliction. The project was completed in 2008 and the fully-restored building has now returned to its original use.
The Hippodrome Project
Visit our dedicated project page to find out more about the history of The Hippodrome and its restoration.
The Hippodrome Today
Interested in experiencing the 1930s glamour of the Hippodrome for yourself? Visit the building’s dedicated website to find out about all upcoming events and film times.